CAN/CSA A440.4-2018: Window, door, and skylight installation has been released.
Doors, windows, and skylights serve as passageways to the outside world. These items, when installed properly, can keep a residence from losing heat or having to deal with leaks. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, “heat gain and heat loss through windows are responsible for 25% to 30% of residential heating and cooling energy use.” Thus, it is important to properly, and safely, install the components that make up an inhabitable building.
As a Canadian standard for window, door, and skylight installation, CAN/CSA A440.4-2018 extends to a variety of subjects. CAN/CSA A440.4-2018 offers guidelines for both the new installation and replacement installation of factory assembled windows, exterior doors, and skylights. These guidelines are meant to service installations in low-rise buildings and buildings that are used for principally, but not exclusively, residential occupancy in which doors, windows, and skylights are R, LC, or CW class inside the application of AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S.2/A440. CAN/CSA A440.4-2018 focuses on issues of fenestration that AAMA/WDMA/CSA 101/I.S.2/A440 has established.
It is important to note that CAN/CSA A440.4-2018 does not cover the following:
- The choice of fenestration items for a specific application.
- The choice of other items for use in installation.
- Storm windows or storm doors installation.
- Installed fenestration item maintenance.
- Rebuilding of fenestration items.
- The fabrication of fenestration items at both the factory or installation site.
- The standard no longer addresses high-rise residential buildings.
- New definitions have been added and some have been amended.
- References to CGSB sealant standards have been replaced with ASTM sealant standards. The standard also references the harmonized North American fenestration standard.
- Included for the first time are factory-assembled bay and bow windows.
- Adjusted techniques for shimming and anchoring to accommodate the installation of insulating and sheathing.
- Nail flange guidelines have been updated.
- Added figures for additional combination window and combination window and door assemblies.
- Revised installation guidelines for sub-sill flashing
- The air and water leaking testing of installed fenestration products section has been updated to be consistent with the North American fenestration standard.
CAN/CSA A440.4-2018: Window, door, and skylight installation is available on the ANSI Webstore.