NFPA 241-2019: Standard for Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations has been released. It revises the 2013 edition of the same standard.
According to a report done by NFPA, from 2010 to 2014, firefighters responded to around 3,750 fires for structures under construction. Furthermore, firefighters answered calls for 2,560 fires reported at sites where major renovations were taking place. At sites where structures were being demolished, there were 2,130 reported fires.
NFPA 241-2019 is geared specifically towards fire safety during construction, alteration, and demolition. It can include underground sites. The purpose of NFPA 241-2019 is to provide a set of minimum guidelines to assist in the safety of people and property against fires during construction, alteration, and demolition.
In the pages of NFPA 241-2019, there is an assortment of information helpful in assuring fire protection during construction, alteration, and demolition operations. Equipment, processes, hazards, and a whole host of other important topics are discussed in the document.
NFPA 241-2019 has undergone the following changes since its last publication:
- Clarifications and an overview of new guidelines.
- The application section has an added provision that allows the authority having jurisdiction to implement parts of the standard when applicable.
- Added provisions that support the need to secure temporary heating equipment and cooking equipment at construction sites.
- Added guidelines to help assure that electrical service disconnecting means are available and marked.
- Added a reference to NFPA 56-2017, which relates to the cleaning and purging of fuel gas piping. This pertains to the installation and removal process of such systems.
- For a building that uses combustible construction, that is more than 40 feet above grade, NFPA 241-2019 mandates guard services.
- Chapter 11 has a new section about standpipe installation in tunnels under construction. This addition was added to work alongside the NFPA 502-2017
- Added a new chapter on tall timber structures.
NFPA 241-2019: Standard for Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations is available on the ANSI Webstore.